Friday, January 22, 2010

There's a Little Black Spot on the Sun Today

Another Uncle B, Another suicide. This Uncle B was not my own, that was 2 and a half years ago now. This Uncle B is the Uncle to some good family friends. These 3 siblings have gone through a lot in the pass few years, including the loss of their mother and now they are struggling to deal with the tragic loss of their uncle. I had only met their Uncle B a few times in my life, the last I can remember at one of the college graduations and he seemed like a fun, funny, and charming man, but as his niece G explains he had been struggling with depression this past year and no one knew just how bad it had gotten.

Oh depression. My Godmother describes it as a "Beast" and what a beast it seems to be. Coming on slowly or quickly, but maybe quietly at first and then invading every part of a once happy life until there is no hope left, no joy. I can't imagine that kind of pain. I hope that I never have to experience it.

The one bright spot in all of this is the hope that Uncle B, and really all people who choose to take their life, has found peace. As my Godmother wrote, she hopes that B’s and J’s (his sister-in-law and the above mentioned mother that has passed away) "souls have somehow connected in a world beyond our understanding, and they have found a peace that seems to escape us humans here on earth." I hope that for him, as well. God rest his soul.

If you or anyone you know is experience signs of depression or feels suicidal please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-273-talk (8255).


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!