Monday, July 6, 2009

Spice It Up


(I hope Stephanie over at http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ doesn't mind that I copied her ingredient picture idea!)

Another cold night here north of Sydney. Boyfriend had said last week that he would like soup again this week so I agreed to make some tonight. (Shoot, I should totally post my recipe for Homemade Tomato Basil Soup, too!) I had tried this soup one night back home with Mom and Dad. I found it on a blog about Trader Joe's recipes and it is super simple to make and tastes really good. I've already been having sips out of the pot waiting for Boyfriend to get home and this version, although different from the one I made for Mom and Dad, is really tastey, too. I hope he likes it!

Chicken Albondigas Soup...aka White Girl Mexican Chicken Meatball Soup

The Trader Joe's recipe is basically a box of their organic chicken broth, a jar of fresh salsa, and a pack of their precooked frozen chicken meatballs. All you do is throw everything in a pot together and let it simmer. It is that easy!

To bad we don't have Trader Joe's here but this recipe is pretty much just as easy:

-Premade meatballs
(or I made my own using 500g of chicken mince, some bread crumbs, onion powder, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and one egg and mixed together and formed in to balls).
-Cook the meatballs/chicken balls if they are not precooked.
-In a large pot, add one box (I think these are equivalent to 4 cups) of chicken stock.
-Add one jar of salsa (I used Aldi's organic Medium salsa, the fresh stuff is better, but I don't think I've ever seen fresh salsa here and I'm too lazy to make my own).
-Add your meatballs/chicken balls and let simmer.
-I added a little bit of celery salt, more pepper, some chili powder to give it more spice, and some water as I thought it was pretty salty. Keep adding water and spices until you get your desired taste.
-I didn't have any, but this would be even better with some cilantro (aka coriander for those in Aus) and you could probably also throw some rice or corn. I'm running low on tortillas from the great Sydney Mexican take away place and on those I brought from CA so we aren't having tortillas with this, but it would be really nice and make it feel even more like a full on Mexican dinner.

Hope you enjoy! I can't wait to have this in a few and then again for breakfast/lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!