Monday, July 27, 2009

Manic Monday


Every Monday that Boyfriend has lived here I remind him that he needs to leave work by 5:50 so he doesn't miss the train that goes directly to Morisset (his stop) and every Monday he has managed to miss it, either because he has been running late or the trains have been running late or just cancelled all together. Today was no exception, this time his train from Kings Cross to Central had been cancelled; no reason given, just cancelled. I probably won't be seeing him until about 10:30 tonight. I made a kickass dinner, though, and it'll be waiting here for him when he gets home. I usually wait for him when he's running late, but tonight I ate dinner without him. On the menu: rice, baby asparagus, and asian barbecue chicken. I thought the chicken was pretty yum so I want to share the recipe from Cooking Light with you guys.

Asian Barbecue Chicken (I used the Cooking Light site's picture because the picture from my camera phone wasn't as pretty)

Ingredients (serves 4, I did it for 2)

  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper....I used a pinch of red chili flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 8 (6-ounce) chicken thighs, skinned...I used 2 large chicken breasts
  • Cooking spray
  • Lime wedges (optional)....didn't use
  • Green onion tops (optional)....didn't use

In a bowl mix the sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, pepper, garlic, and curry powder. Pierce chicken and then pour mixture over it and let marinade in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. I think I marinated mine for about 6-7 hours. Pour off the sauce in to a pot and heat it until boiling. You can then either grill the chicken on the barbecue or cook it in a pan on the stove, brushing it with the sauce as it cooks. Then you can garnish it with lime wedges and green onion tops if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!