Thursday, June 3, 2010

Well You'll Never Gain Weight From a Doughnut Hole


ETA: Well I certainly have great timing as June 4th is National Doughnut Day, too funny!

Who knew Tori Amos sung a song about doughnuts??

Boyfriend didn't get home until 10:30 Wednesday night and after a long walk, some work, and being by myself all day I got bored. I was craving a maple bar, but they don't do that here so I thought it would be a perfect time to try and make my own doughnuts (who knows with ideas like this how I've managed to lose 5 pounds since I've gotten back!) and use the maple extract I had brought over to try and recreate them. Well, the maple ones didn't turn out; my glaze was too runny and the flavor was off.

Boyfriend called just as I started to make the doughnuts and he said I sounded busy so I told him "I'm in the middle of making doughnuts" and he nonchalantly, like I make doughnuts everyday and not at all like this was the first time he's heard of me making doughnuts says, "Oh, well can you make me some cinnamon and sugar ones then" so I did and thank goodness for his request because those ones turned out really, really good! I thought these were the best straight out of the oil and still hot, but Boyfriend had a bunch of doughnut holes for a snack at work the next day and he came home raving about how good they were.

Here's the basic doughnut recipe from LoveToKnow.com and then all I did was drop them straight from the oil and in to a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.

Doughnut Recipe

  • 2 1/2 cups flour (plus lots of extra for when you roll the dough out)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 quarts oil for deep frying (I put about half a cup in the bottom of my wok and topped it off with probably another 1/4 of a cup halfway through so don't waste all this oil from the start)

  1. Stir the dry ingredients together.
  2. Mix in the milk, beaten egg, and vanilla.
  3. Heat the butter until melted and beat in to the flour mixture.
  4. Let chill for one hour.
  5. Bring oil to 370 degrees. (I didn't have a thermometer so just get the oil nice and hot and turn it down if your doughnts start to brown to quickly)
  6. Knead and roll out dough, then cut with a thick, round cutter. (My dough was VERY sticky so you'll probably need to add a lot of flour to keep it from sticking. I used an extra large mug for my outside circle and an egg cup for my inside circle.)
  7. Using smaller circle, cut out the middle to create a doughnut shape.
  8. Drop doughnuts into oil until they cooked through and light brown then immediately drop in to your cinnamon and sugar mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!