Friday, June 4, 2010

And I Won't Tell 'Em Your Name

We've been engaged for exactly 4 months now and I still don't know what to call Boyfriend, at least as far as the blog goes. Calling him Fiance as a pseudonym seems lame. Referring to him as my Fiance in general still seems strange. I read this online Cosmo article the other day that said something about getting engaged is so cool because "you no longer have to refer to him as your boyfriend, which sounds so childish, now you can be an adult and call him your Fiance." I just think the word sounds so posh and uppity and even if that is what Boyfriend now is, I feel dumb saying it, unless I can use it to my advantage -like sometimes if I enter an online giveaway for a cooking appliance or something, I'll make sure to mention the fact that I'm newly engaged and my Fiance and I need stuff for the house (which is true) but I don't go saying to other people "Oh my Fiance this and that..." So the search is on for a new blog name for the man in my life; maybe he'll just let me use his real name already? It would make writing about him easier because there have been plenty of times where I have slipped and just written in his name only to notice it a little while later and have had to come back and change it.

I made it a point to keep this blog semi-anonymous because no one else in my life signed up to be apart of it when I decided to do it, but now that they do know about it, some people don't care whether you know who they are or not, like Nae, and how she agreed to let me share photos of her on here. I also started out thinking I'd keep myself anonymous, but I don't mind that people know I'm Dana and not Little D. This blog is just an unlocked journal that whoever wants to can read; it's a positive thing so I don't need to hide behind anonymity, plus it's hard to stay anonymous when I link to the blog in my Yanks Down Under profile or to some of my posts on Facebook! I will still keep up the pseudonyms for our friends, though, because I think they prefer it that way and without knowing who they are in real life, I don't think it makes a difference to the stories I tell calling her M******, as opposed to the Hairdresser, for example.

Anyway, to wrap it up, if my main man does not let me use his name on the blog, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could start calling him?

9 comments:

  1. You could call him Boyfriend Turned Fiance-- then when you get married you can change him to Fiance Turned Husband. On the other hand, I haven't given anyone in my family blog names-- I just say "my husband" or "my five year old"-- keeps it simple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love your suggestion! I like the simplicity of your names...typing "my husband" or "my five year old" is less of a mouthful than typing "boyfriend turned fiance" or "fiance turned husband" every time I write about him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been engaged for 10 months and I still struggle to call Andrew my fiance. I think I do about 50% of the time, the other 50% I say boyfriend for the exact reason you mentioned. I feel snooty saying fiance. Just start calling him The Dude, or My Man, or FHUB (future hubby) or you could do what a bunch of other retardo bloggers do and call him DH or DF for dear husband or dear fiance. I'm not a fan of those though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, no Elsja, the DH and DF thing makes me gag even harder than calling him Fiance! If I were to start referring to him as DH/DF I'd expect that I was living in the 1800s without running water or electricity and would speak like this "My dear husband was out tending the sheep on our homestead today when he was mauled by a bear." Haha! He vetoed using his name and says he will now be in charge of thinking of a new blog name for himself so we'll see what he comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh - I like Elsja's idea of calling him "my man". That way, you never have to change it and I think it sounds very modern and sexy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dana,
    I found you while surfing other blogs written by Americans living in Australia (I love reading what you guys think of us!), and I've been enjoying your blog immensely. I chuckled when I read this post; my husband Ken has long since got used to his name and face being plastered over my blog! Sometimes though, I refer to him as the MOTH (Man Of The House), which is a term that I first found in a woman's magazine back in the 1960's, and I thought it was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi- true, true...very modern and sexy, I think he would die if I described him as either, though :)

    Gina-thanks for reading the blog! Maybe I could start calling him MOTH Man (it could be a blend of yours, Mimi's and Elsja's suggestions), though I guess the Man at the end is a little redundant...I bet he would get a kick out of it though because it makes him sound like a super hero.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading him the posting and everyone's comments, he now says he likes the sound of Main Man or MOTH Dude. He says it is weighing heavily on his mind and he's going to sleep on it and hope it comes to him in a dream ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha cute. i just use peoples names. it's too complicated for me not to, although if i post pictures i always ask if thats cool with them. in some peoples eyes though i might as well tell everyone my address then, right?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!