Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Home is Waiting Here for You When You Return

Nae has made it back safe and sound to Santa Cruz. I spoke to her earlier today, after 30 hours of flying and stops in Dakar, Senegal and Washington, D.C. She sounded happy and not at all tired. She said she misses South Africa already and would like to move there. Maybe someday she will find a way to. I was glad to hear her voice again and to hear more details about some of the things she saw and did. The fire has been lit under her bum to pursue grad school so that she can propose a cool project idea and get back down to S.A. to study sharks upclose and personal again.

Anyway, these pictures have nothing to do with Nae's return, but are from walks I've taken over the past few days. I hope you enjoy. (Be warned, you might get bored-there are lots of mushroom pictures! Haha, I don't know why I think they are so neat.)




An area that has become a swamp where there was never water last year.


Kookaburra blending in with the trees and grey sky.

The little flash of color in the top left is one of two rainbow lorikeets that flew past me as I walked close to their nesting spot.



There are tons of ugly termite mounds on trees along the path.


The only bright spot in our backyard.

Looks like we will have a few more bananas this year.


I think this might be garlic. We have a garlic plant in our front yard at home and these flowers look really similar.



Someone thought it would be a good idea to try and build a castle in our neighborhood. They ran out of money and it was never completed.


Isn't this one freaky? I've never seen a mushroom like it. It looks like it should be from a Super Mario Brothers game. There is a little fly on top and I don't know if this mushroom was its home or its deathtrap.




1 comment:

  1. OMG we use to play in that castle when we were kids.. back in the day when we use to go to my real dads every second weekend thats how long its been there for .. we were told the man bulding the house died on site and his wife still owns it but wont sell it or fix it up.. they say its haunted.. ohhh memories..

    LC and little Lo xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!