Thursday, October 1, 2009

I'm Just Bluffin with my Muffin

We had a bunch of bananas going really brown on the counter last weekend so I was going to make a couple loaves of banana bread to pass out to Boyfriend's parents, uncle, and grandparents, but then Boyfriend's Mom let me read one of her magazines while we were over on Friday afternoon and I found a recipe for Banana Choc Muffins (I think they are cupcakes once they have frosting on them, though) so I made those instead. I know they don't look like much (sorry about the shitty camera phone quality, but it was kindof a last minute thing that I decided to even take pictures and put the recipe up, if you want pretty pictures of recipes go here or here or here) but they were a big hit and Boyfriend's cousins asked me if I could make muffins and cupcakes for them all the time.

Here's the recipe, I think it's from Australian Women's Weekly and it says it makes about 6 jumbo muffins, I got 12 good sized muffins out of it. Sorry that you're dealing with grams and what not, but I'm lazy and don't feel like doing temperature conversions or measuring conversions...google it!

Muffins
90g of unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup of self-raising flour
1/2 cup of plain flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (or if you've used salted butter I think you use baking powder instead, but don't quote me on that)
2/3 cup of mashed really ripe bananas (just put in as m
uch as you'd like depending on how much banana flavor you enjoy, I think I used a bit more and it still wasn't super banana-y for me)
1/2 cup of sour cream (I used lite sour cream and it didn't effect it)
1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips

Frosting
(I ran out of sour cream as I was doing triple the recipe, but forgot that when shopping so I just used Betty Crocker in a can stuff and they were really good that way. They were also really tasty without any frosting at all on them)
100 g of cooking chocolate, melted
1/2 cup of icing sugar
1 tablespoon of baking cocoa
1/4 cup of sour cream

1. Preheat over to 180 C or 160 C if you're doing fan forced. Line cupcake tin with paper cupcake wrappers or use the more environmentally healthy silicone ones like I did for most of mine.
2. Beat softened butter, eggs, and sugar together in a small bowl with an electric mixer (I really need to get one, but for now I used my blender)
until light and fluffy. Stir in sifted dry ingredients, bananas, and sour cream, then add the chocolate chips.
3. Pour mixture into muffin tin and bake for about 25 minutes.
4. Allow muffins to cool while you make the frosting by mixing the melted chocolate, icing sugar, baking cocoa, and sour cream together.
5. Spread frosting on muffins when they are pretty much cool.
Does anyone have any recipes they want to share with me, either in the comments or on my email (littleddownunder at gmail dot com). I'm always looking for new things to try for dinner or dessert...I love chocolate and chicken and pasta if that helps, but I'm open to anything so please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!