Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Along Came a Spider and Sat Down Beside Her

Looks like my spider bite might be a little more serious than I first anticipated. It's been 5 days since I first got bit and the arm is still swollen and warm and I'm not feeling so great. I want to the pharmacy to see if they could give me some over the counter stuff to treat it and the pharmacist said that since I didn't see what bit me there is the potential that it could've been a white spider that did it and if I let the infection go too long I could lose my arm. All of that is very unlikely but it is weird that it's not healing after this amount of time so I'm trying to get in to see a doctor about it tomorrow. Hopefully simple antibiotics are all I need to get it healed. If it gets any worse tonight my Mom said I should probably go down to the emergency room and get it looked at. It feels pretty dumb to have to go to the doctor's all over a stupid bug bite, but I guess I'd better be safe and not sorry on this one.

Edited to Add: So I ended up going to the Doctor's office not long after I posted because I really just wasn't feeling well and was getting freaked out by people telling me I could lose my arm. The place we went to was super nice and squeezed me in within about 30 minutes of being there, even though they were jam packed with other patients (I wonder if I'd get that service, even with private healthcare, anywhere in the States- I bet I'd have been told to go to the emergency room and wait for hours. Another reason universal healthcare coverage is awesome!). The Doctor took one look and feel of it and said, "Yep, it's infected!". He then said that I probably wouldn't be running a temperature but that he needed to check it anyway and was surprised to see that I had one so I don't know if that means the infection is a little worse than he first thought or what. He gave me a prescription for some antibiotics and told me to get some Claratin to take to help my swelling go down. I went straight to the pharmacy and took my first dose last night. The arm already looks a bit better this morning but is still sore and hot to the touch. I might take a photo of it now to put up later to freak/gross you all out!

2 comments:

  1. Hope it's gotten better. I saw my first redback this weekend...thankfully hubs had the sense to carefully pick up items he was moving in the backyard, as I would have just reached before looking:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I still haven't seen one, but I would be like you and pick stuff up blindly. Boyfriend always wears gloves in the backyard when moving things and snakes and spiders are the reason why. Just went for a walk down near the lake on a paved path with LC and her little dog almost got bit by a red belly black snake!
    My bite is getting a bit better, aloe vera straight from the plant works wonders so I'm hoping I don't have to get a second round of antibiotics.
    I'm just about to have a look at your expat adventures and expat cook blogs. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!