Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Eggs I Really Love You, Like the Sky Above


Hey Guys, I just got this email from Bun and it's about how IHOP doesn't use any cage free eggs at all at any of their locations. Denny's, Burger King, and Wendy's source at least some of their eggs from cage free animals now and it's about time that IHOP did, too. I'm really big on cage free eggs after seeing a Jamie Oliver special about how battery hens are kept and how sick they are and how they live their lives sitting in poop and unable to move (check out this video if you want to see how gross it all is). The Humane Society has asked that everyone who is concerned about this issue sign this petition and you can also call the owner of dozens of IHOP restaurants, David Paradise, who has the power to make the company start using cage free eggs, at 601-445-9710, ext. 230 . The Humane Society asks that you be polite and brief, but firm that this is the man you want to talk to/leave a message for, and this is the script they suggest you use:

"Hello, my name is [your name] and I am calling to ask IHOP to start using eggs that don't come from hens crammed into cages. I just watched the undercover video of your egg supplier, and the images of animal cruelty are appalling. Please start switching to cage-free eggs. Thank you."

I felt that this was important enough that I made the call from here in Australia and I'm just about to send off the email petition, too. Please join me in doing this. Chicken is one of the few meats I do eat, but I do think those birds deserve a good life for the time they are alive.

Here's a video about eggs that is cute and will make you feel better after seeing that last video. My sister showed it to me years ago and it always makes me giggle and the kids in my 5th grade class loved when I played it for them as a treat!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!