Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Lemon Song

My sister, Nae, is leaving on a Girls' Weekend to San Francisco tonight with D.C. and the Camp Counselor so I decided to make them these Lemon Burst Cookies that I had seen on Brown Eyed Baker for the road. I'm always interested in trying recipes that call for lemons in them since I've got a whole, huge tree in the backyard that is always full of ripe fruit that tend to go to waste .

I made a few little tweaks to the recipe (and over did one batch of them), but so far during our pretrip taste test, everyone loved them! The best part is these were super easy to whip up!

Here's what you need:

1 package lemon cake mix (I don't think they have this in Australia, but you could probably use a white cake mix and add more lemon juice and limoncello to it to get a similar flavor) (I haven't tried it with the white cake mix so don't hold me to it turning out perfectly, but I plan to experiment with it when I get back)

2 eggs

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Zest of 2 lemons

2.5 Tablespoons lemon juice (I'd use about 1/3 of a cup if you are using white cake mix)

1 teaspoon of limoncello (I'd use a tablespoon if you are using white cake mix)

1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar

Here's what you do:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Make sure you either grease your cookie sheets or line them with baking paper because these cookies tend to stick.

2. Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon extract until well blended.

3. Once your confectioner’s sugar is in a bowl, drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar until lightly coated and place on baking sheet.

4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

(Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!