Wednesday, March 31, 2010

And Your Friends They Sing Along and They Love You


Here are two more recipes from stuff I made for Nae's going away dinner. I thought the satay was the best I've had at home ever and the peanut sauce (I think it was Simply Thai or Simply Asia brand) was the closest to restaurant quality I've had out of a jar. The salad was also a big hit and I should have made double what I did. Everyone one loved the fresh wonton wrappers in the salad. I had added slivered almonds to the salad, but I don't know if I just didn't get any or what, but they didn't add anything to it so you can leave them out.

Chicken Satay (from Good Things Catered) (I also did steak satay and this marinade worked for that, too)

Ingredients:
3 large chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise 1 - 1 1/2 inch wide
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
juice of 1/2 lime
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/8 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, minced
2 green onions, white and light green portions sliced

Directions:
-In large bowl, combine soy sauce, oil, lime, curry, brown sugar, cilantro and green onion and and stir to combine.
-Add chicken pieces and toss to cover completely.
-Cover bowl and place in fridge for 1-2 hours. (Mine marinated for about 3-4 hours I think)
-Remove chicken from fridge, line baking sheet with foil, top with cooling rack, and turn broiler on low. (We barbecued ours)
-Weave chicken strips through bamboo skewers and place on cooling rack-topped baking sheet. (Once again, we barbecued ours so just place on grill medium to high heat until meat is cooked through)
-Place in middle of oven and broil until tops begin to brown slightly, about 5-7 minutes.
-Remove from oven, flip chicken over and place back in to cook.
-Broil on low until cooked through, about 5 more minutes.
-Remove, let cool for 3 minutes, and serve with Thai peanut sauce.

Won Ton Salad (From Hot Off the Garlic Press)

3 T rice vinegar

1/2 t pepper

1 t salt

1 T sesame seeds (omitted because I didn't buy any)

2 T sugar

1/4 C oil (I used olive because I assumed that's what she meant by oil)

Lettuce

Green Onion (omitted because our meal already had tons of green onions in the other dishes and I find lots of people tend to pick them out and leave them to the side in salads when they are raw)

Won Ton Wrappers

(I threw in some cherry tomatoes because we had a ton)

Prepare a bowl-full of the lettuce{s} of your choice. Add some green onion sliced diagonally. Take a small stack of wonton wrappers and slice them into small sections. Fry them until golden and drain on paper towels. Mix the vinegar, pepper, salt, sesame seeds, sugar, and oil and toss it all together just before serving.

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good!

    I have always wanted to travel to Australia. It is probably good I didn't, because I would have stayed too! I look forward to reading more.

    I am following you super late from Friday Follow! I hope you visit/ follow me back when you get a chance: http://www.thriftyandfrugalliving.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and following. I'm checking out your blog now because I love freebies and giveaways, too. You'll have to make it to Australia someday, it's a pretty special place!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!