Thursday, June 18, 2009

Working It Out


How is it possible that I still don't have a job? I've put in my resume at a bunch of stores (grocery, clothing, discount) and emailed out resumes to schools for admin positions and I don't hear back about any of them. It's been two months since I went to all the local schools and put in my substitute teaching resumes and I still haven't gotten any calls to substitute teach. I think I should call them back and remind them of my existence and the fact that I live super close to the schools so they can call me late in the morning and I can still be there on time.

Anyway, because of not working, sometimes I get a little restless. It doesn't help the fact that it is freezing and raining outside. We all also know by now that I've got a bit of a sweet tooth. So what does one do on a boring, cold and rainy day when they are poor? They think about what they've got in the cupboard and how they can bake something fabulous out of those ingredients.

Today I bring you Microwave Chocolate Cake! (I know it doesn't look lovely in my picture, make fun of it all you want, but it's good and it only took 5 minutes to cook and you can't beat that can you?)

Mine wasn't as chocolatey as I like it so I will tweek the recipe down below and hopefully that will help you when you try and make it. I also added some Betty Crocker Vanilla frosting to mine and that could be why the cake didn't taste so sweet because that stuff is super sweet.

3/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup of sugar (I used brown cause it's what I had and it worked fine)
1/4 cup of oil
2 teaspoons of cocoa powder (I used this fairly unsugary italian style hot chocolate powder I had)
1 teaspoon of vanilla or vanilla essence
2 eggs
1/4 cup of water
1.5 Tablespoons of baking powder
(pinch of salt....that's what the recipe I based this off of said but I didn't use any salt and it was fine)
(2 big squirts of chocolate syrup or another tablespoon of hot chocolate to get that bigger chocolate cake--I didn't do this, but I will next time)

So mix your flour, sugar and baking powder together. Sift it if you want to be fancy, but I don't think it's necessary.
In another bowl, mix the cocoa, vanilla, water, and oil together til well blended.
Add the eggs to the flour mixture and combined well.
Pour in the liquid mixture and mix the wet and dry together til all of the liquid blends in to the dry stuff and it looks like a regular cake mix (my liquid sat on top for awhile, I really had to mix it through for it all to combine).
In a separate, large microwave safe bowl or dish, coat with oil or butter and pour the cake batter in. (Make sure the bowl is pretty big, as my cake started to spill over the sides a tiny bit when it rose.)
Put in microwave on high power for 5 minutes.

And that's it, after 5 minutes the top of the cake should feel spongey and that's how you'll know it's done.
Eat it as is or throw some frosting on it to make it even more cake like.
You can make Aussie frosting (actually icing) by mixing together some milk and powdered (aka confectioners) sugar together til you get a thin icing consistancy....I think it takes lots of sugar to make.

If anyone wants to send me money or offer me a job, that'd be awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!