Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hey Good Lookin, Watcha Got Cookin

Really not a whole lot going on around here over the past two days. My work day for this week got switched to tomorrow (Friday here) and I'm nervous to be going back for my first official day. I've got to pick out a work appropriate outfit this afternoon and make sure it's not too wrinkled. I think I need to invest in a new work shirt and pair of work pants this weekend. Boyfriend is on a 4 day workweek right now and we normally have Fridays together, but we'll both be working this Friday. Instead, he came over last night so I went on a cooking bender before he got here so he'd have yummy stuff to eat and take to work. First I baked some cupcakes but I think something was off in the mix because they kindof tasted like soap. Next, I made bread dough and kneaded it by hand twice and let it rise for an hour between kneading-the little bread rolls I made from it turned out soooo good and soooo tastey! I made my own pasta sauce as Boyfriend felt like chicken parmigiana for dinner and that takes a couple hours to simmer down and it also turned out sooooo good. Then I hand breaded some chicken breasts and the rest of my chicken was about to go off so I made chicken curry to freeze for some day I don't feel like cooking and butter chicken to take for lunch or something tomorrow. Boyfriend loved dinner and took 5 mini breadrolls, about a pound of chicken parm, and two cupcakes with him for lunch and snacks today at work.

This weekend is ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand. ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. This weekend is basically like Memorial Day weekend in the States, but here they actually celebrate the returned and active service members. There is a huge parade for everyone in Sydney and all the capital cities and it is so moving to see all these really old guys marching with their old army buddies. Boyfriend and Bob are going down with their Grandpa on Saturday to march in the parade. Family also get to march with the soldiers. Lots of people get up early to attend dawn services to remember all the lives lost and then everyone goes out drinking. It is a really special and important day here. I opted just to stay home this year so that Boyfriend and his brother could have a special day on their own with their Grandpa....we call him Pop and he is an awesome awesome man!

Friday after work we're going to a bbq at Croc and the Teacher's place. Saturday Boyfriend will be away and Sunday will be grocery shopping and work clothes shopping. Next Friday I'm baking 2 dozen pink frosted cupcakes for LC's baby shower and the shower is all afternoon Saturday. The weekend after that Boyfriend will be gone for the weekend to Queensland for his cousin's wedding. She is super sweet and I got an invite, but I just couldn't afford it right now. Boyfriend should have a good time as it is him, Bob, his Dad, and all his uncles going up together! It seems like all of our weekends go by so quickly and we get to Sunday nights and feel like we need a break still!

Oprah just had young, self made millionaires on her show. They all said find a way to make money doing what you love. I wish I could make millions or at least hundreds (haha) off the blog because I have a lot of fun writing it, but I guess I'd have to have readers to make any money off the thing....maybe someday! I'd also love to open a 50's style diner here in Australia, kindof like Ruby's in California because I really feel like it would be popular here and it is something that is needed around here, but a)I haven't been to culinary school b)I don't have a business background and c)I don't have any money to start it up. Maybe I will cross paths with someone who has money to throw around and wants to back me and I could import a chef from CA who knows the style or get a chef from here who could go to CA with me and eat at Ruby's for a week and then reproduce it here. You just never know where life's going to take you.

Sorry about the randomness and the rambling today. Like I said, not much is really happening right now. I'll fill you in on the BBQ and how the first day of work went, probably when I'm on my own all day Saturday. Hope you're having a great day, wherever you are and whatever you're doing!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh Dana's Diner! I love it!!
    Hey, if I can make a living from making handbags, anything is possible x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you givin away state secrets (like my name, haha!). You know, it could be a cafe/clothing and accessories store...your stuff is retro and would fit right in....Boom! We're gonna make a billion dollars!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!