Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Song of the Gremlin

Hey All (or Few, which ever the case may be)! I had my first major assessment at work today to see if I'd be competent to go on the phones and start taking real calls this afternoon and I was, but didn't feel like it! I like being really good at everything and when you're brand new at something, you typically aren't going to be really good at it yet so it has been hard for me to let go of being perfect and to just trust myself that I know what I'm supposed to be doing and just do it. Doing the real calls this afternoon was nerve wracking and my first call was a big mess because the person who had helped the customer before didn't set stuff up right so it really threw me off my game, but the next 3 calls I took, while maybe a bit clunky in delivery, turned out alright. We have more training this week and then Monday we will be on calls all day so I will get lots of practice then!

Have I mentioned we bought me a car? We got a super sweet deal on a 1996 Subaru Impreza and it's got low mileage on it, air con, and is an automatic so I'm a happy girl. MOTH Dude bought it and offered to just buy it outright or pay for half of it, but since we got it for such a good deal, I told him I'd pay him back the full amount. It's not very much money to pay back, BUT it feels kind of cool to make my first big purchase and pay it off with all of MY own money. I feel like a grown up kindof.

We have not really been up to much around here. MOTH Dude and I both seem to be exhausted from work on the weekends and taking it easy. We did go up to the Stockton Sand Dunes with Bob Marley, LC and Lo on Sunday to test out Bob's new 4 wheel drive. It was a lot of fun. We did a little bit of sand boarding and I had two big stacks and hurt myself on the first one. Luckily there were no broken bones, but I reckon I've bruised some deep tissue inside my boobs and I think I jarred my jaw a bit because it hurts pretty badly when I yawn. I also managed to knock the wind out of myself. I didn't learn my lesson though because I took a running leap down another hill, only to not have the board slide down the hill with me! Oh well, something for everyone else to laugh about, I guess :)

So anyway, on to the reason my post is titled what it is: At work there is a girl who works as a hairdresser on the weekend and she met up with one of her other friends who is a hairdresser on Sunday for dinner. Her friend tells her this story and when she told it to us at our work on Monday morning, I was dying! It seems her friend was working on a client when the client received a call from her mentally disabled teenage son while she was in the middle of having her hair dyed. Her hair was up in the foils and just waiting to set when he called and said, "Mom, Mom, Mom! I've caught a gremlin!" And the Mom says, "What do you mean you've caught a gremlin?" And the son says, "I caught a gremlin Mom, don't worry, I saw it and I caught it." So the Mom starts to get really nervous and tells the hairdresser she needs to rush home, right away, no matter that her hair is still in the foils. The Mom gets home and looks all through the house for her son and the "gremlin" but can't find them. Finally, she goes out to the garage where she finds her son and his gremlin, which turned out to be there postman who is a midget! The son was proud and said, "See Mom, I told you I caught a gremlin!" The Mom untied the postman who was not too happy about the situation and apparently he is now going to sue the family!

While the whole suing the family is not funny and while it must have been a very embarrassing situation for the postman, I just laugh every time I think of how proud the son must have been when he showed his Mom the "gremlin" he had caught!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I can't believe that. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I've randomly come across your blog while searching 'freesia's' which brought up an entry of yours from 2009. But something also struck me on that first page, the fact that you feel sorry for inanimate objects, which is what I do too! A leftover from my OCD as a teenager I think.

    Anyway I hope you don't mind that I'm reading your blog, I'm always looking for new things to read :). I don't have a blog of my own, just a livejournal hehe.

    Cheers, Danae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danae: I don't mind at all, in fact I'm stoked when anyone I don't know reads my blog and is actually mildly amused by it. My old babysitter gave her daughter the middle name "danae" as a mix between mine and my sister's name, which I thought was pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thanks! Glad it makes you happy. I'm more than mildly amused with it! I'm pretty stoked to find a great blog to read.

    Oh my gosh, that's wonderful that she has the middle name "danae" to represent your sister and yourself.

    That's really cool actually, to come across a blog that I can relate to so much, and then a girl is named after you and your sister by being called Danae! What is your name? And your sister is Nae right. Is it short for anything?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Danae, Thanks again for the great compliments! I don't give anyone's real name out because no one but me signed up to do the blog and I think my friends and family are happy for me to share our stories as long as they remain anonymous within them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an excellent idea actually :). Makes sense. I think that is what has always held me back from blogging, but if I could be anonymous to everyone apart from those who I want to know, that would stop any drama or misunderstandings happening. I like it! Should I call you D then? or LilD?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I only try and write positive stuff about my friends, but even then, because they are just reading words and not hearing the inflection of my voice, they still take things that I think I'm saying as a compliment in the wrong way so it's a very thin line to tread when writing a blog and letting people you know read about it. Call me whichever you want. I answer to either, plus "Yank" "Dunno" "Princess" and about 100 other names!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!