Saturday, September 19, 2009

And I Just Had to Have a Cheesecake


Yesterday I laid up in bed most of the day with a raging headache and upset stomach and watched all the new episodes of shows from back home I had downloaded. I was suppose to go over to LC's house to hang out while the boys were away at the races, but wasn't sure I was up to it. I grabbed some crackers for lunch and hopped in the shower and ended up feeling much better. LC called a bit after that and asked if I was up for dinner at her place, the Runner was going to bring Thai and we'd just hang out there. So I said sure and that I'd bring dessert. I had seen this recipe on smittenkitchen.com for cheesecake brownies that I really wanted to make so I figured girls night was the perfect time to do it. I'm not as fancy as Deb from Smitten so I just used a box of brownies and made the cheesecake topping to pour over it so do it either way: her recipe that I will share below or take your favorite box of brownie mix and pour the cheesecake mixture over the uncooked brownies and sprinkle some chocolate chips over the cheesecake mix. LC and the Runner ended up loving these so much that I split the batch between them and let them keep it...better for my thighs that way and a boost to my ego that they liked them so much! These were super easy to make and I will definitely be making them for the next party we have or go to.

Image/recipe via Deb at Smittenkitchen.com


Cheesecake-Swirled Brownies

Makes 16 2-inch square, thick brownies

Brownie batter (Or remember you can always just use your favorite box recipe)
1 stick (1/2 cup or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour

Cheesecake batter
8 ounces cream cheese, well softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Plus
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Make brownie batter: Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Heat butter and chocolate in a 3-quart heavy saucepan — though I did mine double-boiler style, placing the mixing bowl I was using over simmering water, thereby creating one less dirty dish and melting the chocolate more gently — over moderately low heat, whisking occasionally, just until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and a pinch of salt until well combined. Whisk in flour until just combined and spread in baking pan.

Make cheesecake batter: Whisk together cheesecake batter ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Dollop over brownie batter, then swirl in with a knife or spatula.

[I actually like using a butter knife because the tip of it is round enough that you can use it to fold bits of the brownie batter over the cheesecake batter for a more visibly marbled effect. Try it!]

Sprinkle chocolate chips over cheesecake/brownie batter swirl. Although it might be more logical to just mix them into the cheesecake batter (and feel free to do this, it will have no ill-effect) I thought it might interrupt the swirl-ability of it.

Bake brownies: Bake until edges are slightly puffed and center is just set, about 35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Slicing tip: I like to chill my brownies until they’re almost frozen before cutting them. It makes it much easier to get a clean slice. I also like to eat my brownies super-cold, but that’s just personal taste. (We ate ours when they were still slightly warm and they were heavenly, but these would probably be pretty great cold with that real cold cheesecake flavor)

Hope you guys enjoy these!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please feel free to leave me a comment!